This was made by my wonderful Mum as a birthday cake. It was an absolutely delicious treat that the whole family enjoyed. It is based on the Carrot Cake recipe in the book ‘The Gluten Free Cookbook: What to eat and what to cook on a gluten-free diet’ by H.Whinney, J.Lawrie and F.Hunter.
225g Muscavado Sugar
240ml Sunflower Oil
225g GF flour
1 tsp GF Baking Powder
1/2 tsp GF Bicarbonate of Soda
1 tsp Xanthum Gum
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Ginger
225g Carrots (coarsely grated)
60g Walnuts (chopped) or Raisins
For the Icing:
30g Unsalted Butter (softened)
75g GF Soft Cheese
225g Icing Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C
- Lightly grease a 23″ cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil and eggs until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, soda, xanthum, cinnamon and ginger.
- Fold it well into the mixture.
- Then fold in the walnuts/raisins.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes, depending on your oven, until the cake is golden brown.
- Transfer immediately to a wire rack to cool.
- Wait until it is completely cool, before putting the icing on.
- For the icing, put the butter and soft cheese in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Sift in the icing sugar, a little at a time.
- Smooth the icing mixture on to the top of the cake.
For an extra special addition on the top of the cake, add some White Chocolate Crunchies.