We love eating salad in our house, but only eating lettuce can get a bit boring. So, we adapted a recipe (using what we already had in our cupboards) and came up with this gorgeous salad. Thank you Granny for the inspiration!
It’s a perfect accompaniment to meat or fish and was gobbled up by my little coeliac!
Makes enough for a family of 4 to share as a side dish.
3 x large carrots (peeled and sliced into long strips)
1/3 x red cabbage (sliced into long strips)
1 whole large cucumber (deseeded and cut into long strips)
1 x mango (peeled, stone removed and roughly cut long strips)
70g whole almonds (whizzed in a blender into tiny pieces)
1 x tbsp caster sugar
1 x tbsp Olive oil
50ml balsamic vinegar
1 x lime (juice and rind)
1 x tsp ginger paste
1 x tsp mint leaves (chopped finely)
- Put the carrots and cabbage into a pan of boiling water and cook for 5-8 mins, until they become slightly soft.
- Take off the heat, drain the veg and leave to cool.
- In the meantime, make the dressing. Mix all the ingredients of the dressing together and set aside.
- When cooled, put the carrots, cabbage and cucumber into a large serving dish and mix. Pour over the almonds and then sprinkle over the mango.
- Pour on the dressing when you are ready to serve.
- Best served with meat or fish.